Tuesday 3 January 2012

A Look Back at 2011: Fashion Moments and the Year in Blogging

It's been quite a year on the blog. Thanks to all who've been following my adventures over the past 12 months (and those who were there previously), as I've really enjoyed getting your feedback. I started the year as a postgraduate student at the London College of Fashion, which I must say I really do miss, and now I'm greeting 2012 providing content and destination advice to British travellers, whilst keeping an eye on travel trends. Here are some of my highlights of 2011:

  • The maxi skirt was a slow burning trend with me, but I've now embraced it. At first I was reluctant to get into 'granny chic', as I'm normally a miniskirt kind of girl, but it's been refreshing to shake up my wardrobe a little.
  • Trips away from the daily grind included a holiday to Boston, which was freezing but very stylish, and my usual jaunt to the Edinburgh Festival. I discovered a brilliant vintage shop in Edinburgh which may become one of my favourite places.
  • I spent the year writing for various publications, including Pigeons and Peacocks Magazine, the current affairs website This Affected Youth and the art website Artface. Pigeons and Peacocks was my first print piece, which was very exciting, and involved being on the same page as the legendary Susie Bubble.
  • Aside from writing, finishing my postgraduate course, working in retail and moving on to destination marketing, I spent much of the year interning for the ethical fashion brand Esther Porter. This was a valuable experience and I loved helping Esther to build up social media, potential stockists and customers. My interning stint culminated with London Fashion Week and a Parisian trade show, which were both amazing.
  • This year I also met several idols of mine, which left me pretty speechless. Donna Wallace, Accessories Editor of Elle UK, was at Fashion Week (the woman has serious style credentials and is also really friendly), and I also spotted Brix Smith-Start with her pugs. Later in the year I met Sasha Wilkins of Liberty London Girl, who was a real inspiration. Who knows who I'll bump into in 2012?
  • Shop-wise, I loved New Look, Republic and Topshop this year and was impressed by H&M's Conscious Collection and Gareth Pugh for MAC (the latter of which made an appearance in my Christmas stocking, thanks to my one and only sister).
  • Designers to watch in 2011 included Rodarte (whose S/S11 collection thrilled, but whose SS12 did not look too promising), House of Holland (I even invested in Henry Holland's underwear collection at Selfridges) and Charlotte Olympia.
  • My inspiration for A/W11-12 style came from the raciest trend of the year. That meant no Kate Middleton references (I know she's supposed to be fashionable, but the pearls and twinset look just isn't my thing) and certainly no conservative leanings (phew). Tis the season to be daring.
I hope you'll continue reading in 2012. Now I've also finished my guest blog stint for the fabulous Bitch Magazine, hopefully a more frequent blogging schedule will be resumed! I'll keep you updated on all my sartorial ramblings for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...