Tuesday 17 May 2011

That Old 80-20 Balance

It's a well-quoted fact that most people wear only 20% of the clothes they own. But here are a couple more worrying facts on wardrobe waste (these facts are derived from the Daily Mail online, so they might not be 100% accurate and may contain conspiracy theories, but they're all I've got to go on at the moment...):


  • In 2007, there were three pairs of jeans being sold every second in the UK. I'm guessing they weren't all designer threads, either.
  • 80 billion new garments are produced every year.
  • Compared to women in the 1980s, the modern woman has 4 times as many items of clothing.
  • In 2005, supermarkets contributed 20% of the fashion market.
  • The average woman acquires 4 and a half stone of clothes per year. I would make a safe bet that I am way beyond that figure...

I am trying to beat my fast fashion addiction, I really am. I try and think of items that I already own which could work with the one I'm considering buying, or I justify 'price per wear' (which, when something costs £5, it's not hard to do). However, I still find it incredibly easy to tire of the things I buy and yearn for something new, yet be unable to physically abandon my cast-offs, lest I should need them again next season. Yes, there's probably some kind of emotional attachment issue going on there, but I love shopping and I don't like throwing away. That's just me. It's not going to be an easy task, but I really am going to try and be more brutal with my wardrobe choices and actually part with the items that never see the light of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...