Friday 23 July 2010

Maison Martin Margiela @ Somerset House




As you can see, I took a few sneaky photos at this exhibition, even though photography was technically banned. But I couldn't resist - Margiela's emulsion-covered t-shirts, brogues and jackets jumped out at me, as did his trompe l'oeil work. The whole exhibition had loads of elements which I'd put into my Art Degree Show and I wish that my tutors had been interested in fashion and taken the time to understand why I referenced so many designers in my project. Using materials like emulsion will always look fantastic and unusual when not on a wall. Adding something so purposeful yet out of context to a piece of wearable fabric is, in my opinion, a stroke of genius (excuse the painterly pun).

The middle photo shows the part where we explore the ideas behind a Margiela store, and a room was covered in mannequins, shredded paper and boxes (all, of course, in white). Everything felt clean yet disorganised, and wonderfully fresh.

The bottom photo shows one of his amazingly structural dresses. This is design not for commercial gain as the primary motive, but for a genuine love of creating new things and pushing the boundaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...